Thursday, March 18, 2010

Log #35 (New Meds)

I'll do my best best to write a little in spite of this scorching headache. Probably the worst day thus far in this Flu. I've taken it from the cold category because this thing is wreaking havoc on me and I'll feel horrible.

Even though I feel so bad, I decided to brave the trip to the appointment with the New Pain Management Doctor. I guess on the first visit however, that everyone sees the Medical Assistant first so he can screen them. I didn't want to reschedule again mainly because the longer I go without the Savella the worse my fibromyalgia hurts, just adding discomfort to an already uncomfortable flu.

The Assistant was about my age and I'm not sure what his medical training is, but it is sufficient for him to be able to write prescriptions. He went over the questionnaire I'd filled out previously about my condition and asked me questions so he could understand better what I'd written down. All of the fibromyalgia symptoms were kicking up by the time I got there today so timing couldn't have been better. I was agitated and my blood pressure was a little high--could have just been from all the pain I'm in or the flu. He then pressed on all of the pressure points that are supposed to be tender if you have fibromyalgia and sure enough they were more than just tender. That seemed to be his main concern on this visit as he asked only a few questions about my groin pain.

In the end, after discussing the different medications I've taken that affect fibromyalgia and the side effects I've had, the drug of choice is Lyrica. I'd been given this when I first got home from the hospital and my spine surgery, but I was so out of it when it was prescribed to me that I didn't know what it was for and I decided to stop taking it. Now that I know what it is used for and I remember how I felt when I was taking it, I felt like this was the best choice. I didn't have the side effects I felt with Savella and the Clonopin.

I take this for four weeks and go back into the office to see the Medical Doctor this time.

The trip there and back was torture because of my back and the flu. When I got home, all I wanted to do is sleep so I laid down and the nerves in my back started sending the lightning bolts down my legs causing them to twitch and jerk in pain. So I took a second Norco since getting home and waited for it to kick in. I was able to take a little nap after that.

It is now about two hours after waking up and I'm ready to go back to sleep. This Flu is a bear!!!

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe