Thursday, June 3, 2010

Log #107 (Good Friend)

I received a cool book today on RLS from a good friend, Linda.  I was able to read quite a bit of it and I learned some interesting things, namely that there is a strong connection between Iron deficiency and RLS.  I had heard this before, but seeing so much written on it makes me think twice.  I've had blood tests before for Iron and the levels were normal, but it makes sense to maybe add an Iron supplement to my diet for a month and see how my RLS reacts to it.

The earliest memory I have of RLS was when I was around eleven or twelve years old and my Mom and I were on a long road trip.  My legs started to fatigue up and cramp while we were driving.  It lasted for about 30 minutes then went away.  I had episodes off and on over the following years and then in my late twenties and early thirties it became much more of a problem.  Now it is a daily thing.  If I don't take my Requip then it gets really bad.  In general, it's much worse when I don't sleep well.

There was some links between RLS and spinal injuries or diseases, but I think my RLS is probably more of a genetic thing.  I was run over by a car when I was 2-1/2 years old and the tire went right over my stomach so it's hard to say what long term affects that might have had on my body that weren't immediately manifested when I was little.  The pain management doctor suggested that there might be a link between my current groin pain (genital femoral neuropathy) and getting run over as a child.  If that is possible after all of these years then I can't rule out the RLS.

The book is no longer in print (printed in 2004) probably because there is new information available now, but I added a link to a book by the same author.

Thanks Linda!!!!

PLEASE MAKE COMMENTS!!!!  If you have similar experiences then please write them here.  It may help someone else when you write your point of view.  ANY comment, question, or suggestion is appreciated!!!

2 comments:

  1. Johnathan GarrettJune 4, 2010 at 6:43 AM

    I think you might be right about the genetic thing. I have the same problem during long trips and at night. It doesn't hurt, but I get a building urge to move my legs and feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you were run over by a car! It's a miracle you are alive. You've had quite a life! Glad you're enjoying the book! See you guys tomorrow! It's going to be a great day!

    Wishing you comfort! Linda

    ReplyDelete

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe