Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Log #47 (Hiccups)

HICCUPS ARE SOOOOOO FRICKEN ANNOYING!!!!!

I didn't get much sleep last night because of hiccups. Of all the things I have to go through on a daily basis and with it being so hard to get sleep, it sucks to miss a night of sleep for such a thing. One of the problems I have when I get constipation (just about all of the time now) is that I get a bloated feeling if I don't go to the bathroom for a while. When I let it get to that point my large intestine starts putting pressure on my stomach, which makes me feel full.

On the plus side I don't eat that much, but on the negative side I feel uncomfortable and when night time rolls around I'll get the hiccups if I'm not sleeping in a good position for my stomach. Most of the time I'll have a few hiccups, I'll change my position to relieve the pressure, and I'll go back to sleep without any more hiccups. Sometimes however, the hiccups don't go away very easy.

Last week I managed to torture my digestive system--mainly because of laziness. First off, I'm getting a little lactose intolerant and whenever I eat dairy products I take some generic enzyme product that helps my body digest it easier and without discomfort. We had some Subway sandwiches with cheese on them at the my boy's baseball game last Thursday and I didn't take the enzyme tablets. My wife and I had date night on Friday night and my food had cheese in it; I didn't take the enzyme tablet. Two baseball games on Saturday and had pizza while we were there; no enzyme tablet.

Besides that, I wasn't taking my fiber the way I should and I went a few days last week without doing an enema. I hate enemas and that is pretty much the only way I can go. Needless to say, by the time yesterday rolled around I was pretty backed up, even after taking laxatives for three days straight. In that time I was able to go a little bit, but not enough.

Last night around 2:00am the hiccups started. I held my breath... Nothing. I drank a full glass of water as fast as I could... Nothing. I took a deep breath, held it, and gulped down a full glass of water... Nothing. By this time I was really feeling full with two full glasses of water and being backed up at the same time. This whole time I was either in the kitchen or on the front room couch so I wouldn't keep my wife awake. I gave it a break for about 45 minutes and laid down on the couch, in the dark, and kept myself awake with continual hiccups--occasionally rushing to the bathroom to pee like an elephant. Lastly, I gulped down another glass, laid on the couch, stretched out as much as I could, and held my breath. This time the hiccups went away and I went back to bed. To make all of this more difficult to deal with, I'd taken an Ambian before going to bed so I was--still am as I'm writing this--feeling like a zombie.


How To Cure the Hiccups
Uploaded by Howcast. - More college and campus videos.

Some time around 4:30 when my wife got up for work and I got up to go pee again. As I rolled over and started to sit up, there was pressure on my stomach because I wasn't straight up yet, I gave a little burp while in this position, and WHAMO! HICCUPS AGAIN! I did everything I could to no avail and sometime around 6:30am... Two hours later! I finally got the hiccups to stop and eventually fell asleep for about 20 minutes before I got up to get my boy's out the door on their way to school. I slept off and on until about 9:30am and gave up because my back was so sore from all the hiccups and moving around that it was useless to try sleeping any longer.

My back was killing me all day and I never got the chance to get any more sleep because there were baseball uniforms that needed to be washed and dried in time for this evening's baseball games. Plus I had to use the time I had to do enema after enema until my system was finally flushed and I felt like a normal person again.

Later, when we got to the baseball game we were able to park pretty close to the field, but the damage had already been done and the act a walking--taking a single step--was almost unbearable. It has been like this all evening and no matter what I do with pain medication it doesn't go away. There is only so much pain medication I can take without killing myself so it's just a matter of getting through this until it all settles down again. Right now, as I'm finishing this blog entry, it is about 1:00am and I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep because I'm still in so much pain, even though I've had so little sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Magnesium? I take it because it has helped some people with erythromelalgia. I can't take the high doses needed though, because of diarrhea, a common side effect. The dose I take keeps me regular though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried it, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out and see what it does.

    ReplyDelete

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe