Thursday, April 15, 2010

Log #63 (Physical Therapy)

I had no time to draw the comic today that I wanted to. This day went by way too fast!

Last night was a rough night for sleep and I supposed to go to the gym at 9:00am to meet with a trainer and go over exercises to strengthen my core muscles so there isn't so much stress on my back. I just couldn't get out of bed in time to make it so I rescheduled to 11:00am.

My health insurance wanted us to pay a huge deductible for me to go to prescribed physical therapy. I've been doing that stuff for four years so I know quite well what they will have me do and there is no use forking out that money for 6 visits. PT is needed and there is no getting around it, but if I already know all of the exercises in the clinic and the pool then I might as well continue to do those things on my own and save the money.

In this case we decided to use the money and get memberships at Gold's Gym. They have a great facility and a ton of equipment with a pool and spa outside. As part of the membership they gave me a free session with a trainer who used to be a physical therapist. This guy knew his stuff!!! Plus the tools they have on hand to help customize a workout specifically for each individual is awesome!

The exercises the trainer showed me and had me do are all geared toward keeping my back isolated from pain while I workout. The equipment can build my abs, upper body, and legs in a way that my muscles can take some of the strain off of my lower back. On the plus side, I get the cardio I've been hungry for and the weight loss that I wanted to continue with. I got on the scale while I was there and I've lost over 40lbs from my heaviest weight, which I was at about three years ago. I gained twenty of that back last year and then lost that same twenty since surgery and I have intention of ever seeing it come back.
Finally, there is a benefit from exercising on my fibromyalgia as well. Light exercise loosens the joins and muscles, which end up relieving some of the pain--not all, but some.


I continue to read, "Fibromyalgia for Dummies." The more I read the more I see how long I've had this condition without knowing it. I go to the doctor about such and such problem and they give me pills. I have other such and such problems, but I live with it and don't go to the doctor--I'm so sick of taking pills. Other problems I see other doctors for (like my groin pain) and they don't know what to do about it. After reading the book (what I've read so far), it's like putting together a puzzle and finally seeing what the picture looks like. If you have fibro or know someone who does, you really should purchase this book. I feel so strongly about it that I'm going to add a permanent link on each blog page.

PLEASE MAKE COMMENTS!!!! If you have similar experiences then please write them here. It may help someone else when you write your point of view. ANY comment, question, or suggestion is appreciated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe