Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Log #68 (Taking a Leap)


Well... I set up an appointment this Friday to meet with the Doctor who can issue a medical marijuana card. I really can't believe that I'm going down this avenue after the views I've had on marijuana my entire life. I've never had a gripe about anyone using it for medical reasons, but I used to think that it's use was limited to cancer patients.

I grew up in a family where my older brother left home in his teens because he was involved with marijuana. That was in the early 1970's. Around that same time my oldest sister was having drug problems too. I saw a lot of things as a six year old that I probably never should have seen and that is a big reason--outside of my religious beliefs--why the use of drugs has always made me cringe.

I won't judge anyone for their beliefs, but I do have to draw the line at drug abuse. It ruins people's lives and in some cases it's impossible to escape its permanent detrimental effects. I've seen what drug abuse has done to family members and very close friends. Being there to help pick up the pieces of broken lives they leave in their wake has been a heart wrenching thing to be a part of.
In the past I've been in the camp that believes that most people on medical marijuana probably don't need it and shouldn't have access to it because they're probably abusing it. I can't say that my views have changed drastically, but I can say that my experiences have brought me in contact with a whole group of society that I didn't know existed and if medical marijuana will improve their quality of life then I am all for it. In a lot of ways I'm being a hypocrite because now that I'm on the other side of the coin I get upset how people will view me if I end up using it.

There is no guarantee this stuff will work for me, but given all I've been through, I have to find something better. The opiates I take do all kinds of damage to the body after long term use. The side effects are hell and as tolerance builds up it takes more and more to give the same relief. There is something natural--marijuana--out there that has the same effect on pain, but not the body. This plant was put on the earth for a reason and it's been used for the treatment of pain for thousands of years so I have to give it a shot regardless of what people think.

The negative stigma on marijuana is a fairly recent thing that stems from the "Hippie" generation. As in all things, it is the abuse of something by a few that cause the rest of the legitimate users to suffer.

The way I see it... Lyrica helps and I know that for 100% sure, but not enough so the logical option is to take more Lyrica. Taking more Lyrica causes me to have some slight uncontrollable muscle twitching and increased tiredness, which may not increase if the fibromyalgia is completely responsible for my tireness and not the Lyrica.

PLEASE MAKE COMMENTS!!!! If you have similar experiences then please write them here. It may help someone else when you write your point of view. ANY comment, question, or suggestion is appreciated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe