Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Log #83 (Crossroads)

I have to say that, in a way, I feel like I allowed myself to be short changed by the medical industry. Oxycontin changed things in me that I didn't notice. Like a frog thrown into a pot of cold water and then the heat is slowly raised with the frog not being able to feel death coming, I didn't see what the Oxycontin was slowly doing to me.

I have a lot more pain now, but my mind is starting to feel a little clearer. I have more feeling in my skin, muscles, and bones. This is both good and bad. I'm still taking the Norco when the pain gets way too intense so I'm still buzzed all day and my memory still sucks, but I'm not as "foggy" anymore. Right now, with the medication, I stepped back to where I was a year ago.

What is driving me crazy about the change is that I notice the numbness and tingling a lot more.
I'm thinking that I'll have to find a way to get off of the Norco as well eventually (probably sooner than later). I really hate the idea of taking all that stuff, but then there is the pain to deal with. I'm really bothered by the whole tolerance build up aspect of taking narcotics for pain. It just seems that there should be something better and I'm not sold on the whole medical MJ thing either. The MJ clouds the mind just as much, if not more, than the narcotics. Going down either road (MJ or Narcotics) doesn't seem like a good trade off for anything. There is less pain to deal with on one level, but the mind and body is altered enough that the patient is no longer their true self. They don't see it, but everyone around them does.

I'm not making a real judgement either way on anyone. It's just that I'm at a cross roads myself about all of this. I don't want to be in so much pain, but I can't live life on all of those pills. My family is the most important thing I have and I want to be around for a long time so I must search for something better or find a way to cope with my chronic pain.

I also stopped taking Lyrica for the simple reason that I could deal with my fibromyalgia without medications before I started taking Oxycontin. Time will tell, but I honestly believe that what I've been through in these last few months is a direct result of taking the Oxycontin--it intensified all of my problems as my body started building tolerance to it.

PLEASE MAKE COMMENTS!!!! If you have similar experiences then please write them here. It may help someone else when you write your point of view. ANY comment, question, or suggestion is appreciated!!!

2 comments:

  1. I know what the withdrawls are like for Morphine, they were not fun at all. I was so pissed at workers comp for MAKING me go through it because they had a tiffy fit with my Dr.

    Needless to day, i can sympathize with you, but not to the complete full extent because i had never been on oxicotton, I believe that oxicotin is even more potent then morphine, i am not sure, that is what way i have thought. Please correct me if i am wrong.

    I am sorry you are going through the Detoxing of getting rid of it out of your body, and I hope the UPSIDE of all this comes quickly as soon as you start the MJ Treatments.

    Tennessee is now looking to Medical MJ themselves and if they adopt it, and i try, i will see if that will work for me, if it works for you.

    My aunt is a cancer survivor, and rarely uses a pain pill. She is MMJ user. She swears by it. She said for me to try it, if it is legal in my state.

    Continue the good work Pat, i do read daily, and post replies, comments, or what not from time to time.

    Thanks,
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morphine is stronger than Oxycontin but just as addictive. After my back surgery I was taking a lot of both. I stopped taking the morphine a while ago, but I have been out of whack since then.

    ReplyDelete

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe