Saturday, May 22, 2010

Log #99 (Semper Fi)

Learning to live with pain without using pain medication is an interesting experience.  It's kind of like Marine Corps Boot Camp, which I went through years ago.  In a way, I think that early experience prepared me for this one.  One thing I learned above all others from boot camp was mental toughness; that no matter the odds if I push myself I can go further than I thought possible.  I learned that if I willed myself to go one more step or run one more mile, I could.

At first, all I wanted was relief from the pain.  Mentally I wasn't pushing myself one more step or mile when it came to pain and I started paying a price for being lazy.  Now I've set my mind in a new direction and I am determined to live with the pain.  Maybe even embrace it.  I'll use medical MJ when it gets to be too much to handle or when I've pushed myself long enough to where I just need a break.

My Grandfather was in the Marine Corps as well--volunteered to go and fight for his country in WWII.  He went into battle knowing he might die and he did.  If I take the easy way out with my pain then maybe I'm not living up to the type of courage he had.  I won't be able to do a lot of things physically that I once did, but I will at least have the faculties of my mind.

PLEASE MAKE COMMENTS!!!!  If you have similar experiences then please write them here.  It may help someone else when you write your point of view.  ANY comment, question, or suggestion is appreciated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe