Sunday, June 27, 2010

Log #123 (Routine Recipe)

I read an article once about how poor sleep patterns lead to a shorter life expectancy.  This is alarming to anyone who has trouble sleeping because of Chronic Pain or illness.  One or two nights of poor sleep is one thing, but when it's a continual problem it's easy to see how the body stops working at peak levels.

Severe pain alters every aspect of a normal life, but I think the biggest impact it has on health is sleep.  At some point the desire for sleep can outweigh the desire for pain relief.  Another problem associated with this is sleeping at regular times and hours, which can be extremely difficult.

There are some things I've learned that help minimize some of these deficiencies and result in better sleep.  Some of these ideas may work for you and others may not, but the important thing is to develop a routine.

  1. Try going to bed close to the same time each evening.
  2. Set a time for a "cool down" period before bed.  A time to clear the mind and forget worries.
  3. Decide to put all worries and concerns away until the next day.
  4. Eliminate as much light and sound as is possible.
  5. Listen to soothing music or sounds.  Make sure the volume is very low so if you fall asleep with it on it won't disrupt your sleep.
  6. Use whatever medication you might have to reduce the pain you experience while trying to sleep.
  7. Find the most comfortable place and position to sleep in.
These last few weeks I've been sleeping much better, due in large part to the Medical MJ.  I am able to use the MJ just before bed some nights and it takes away all of my pain while relaxing all of my muscles.  This usually lasts through the night.  The down side is that the most comfortable place for me to sleep is on the couch.  I sleep on the couch until about 5:00am then I go back to bed so I won't be in the front room when the kids start getting up in the morning.  My music of choice is ELO (Electric Light Orchestra).  This has been one of my favorite groups since I was a young man and I find it some of the most soothing music.


PLEASE MAKE COMMENTS!!!!  If you have similar experiences then please write them here.  It may help someone else when you write your point of view.  ANY comment, question, or suggestion is appreciated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe