Sunday, July 18, 2010

Log #137 (Spirituality)

Chronic Pain and spirituality... Is there a connection?

Earlier I'd written that I wouldn't talk about any specific religion and I will stay true to that tonight, but I think there are some things worth mentioning and I'll try to be respectful of all religions while doing so.

I think it's safe to say that most people believe that there is some form of spirit within each of us.  Most believe that when we die our spiritual journey doesn't end.  To take it a step further most people believe that our spirits continue, in some way, to mature and grow in intelligence after death.

So if each of us posses a spirit then anything we do or experience in this life has either a positive or negative effect upon it.

How then does pain, chronic or otherwise, figure into the equation?

In my opinion, pain and suffering is an essential part of the human experience whether we like it or not.  It takes the bitter to know the sweet.  Through pain we are able to gain joy.  That may sound like a crazy statement, but if you really think about it you'll realize it's true.  Every good thing you have in your life was brought about through pain in some way.  A child is born through a mother's pain and most mother's would consider their children a blessing.  Freedom was paid for through pain.  For Christians, their redemption was bought through the Savior's pain.  Without sacrifice, which requires either mental or physical pain, there is no blessing.

When someone lives with chronic pain there are blessings to be had if the people involved will take the time to see them for what they are.  The person with the pain learns what it is to be loved by those that care for them.  Those who suffer with empathy for the afflicted learn the joys that come from service.  Ultimately, even if it's hard to see the good that comes from suffering, there comes a time when we can look at the experience through hindsight and see that our lives are actually better because of it.

I honestly believe that I am becoming a better person because of the things I suffer.  I also believe that my suffering will make my family stronger if I let it.  A stronger family means a happier family.  If my family is happier then I would be wrong to count my pain as a curse.
We choose our own blessings or good fortune by how we choose to live.  If I choose to make pain my curse then that will be my reward.  Even if it takes generations to finally realize that good came from the pain of a family member it will still come.  For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Eventually, great pain is rewarded with great joy.  It may be realized in this life, but if not here, then in some future place where our spirits continue forever.
Pain and spirituality go hand in hand just as joy and spirituality do.  All of these things work together for our good and our eternal progression in the spirit world to come.

PLEASE MAKE COMMENTS!!!!  If you have similar experiences then please write them here.  It may help someone else when you write your point of view.  ANY comment, question, or suggestion is appreciated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe